Nassau, The Bahamas has plenty of open-air markets that are not only fun to visit but also sell a variety of interesting goods. From hand-woven items to fish that's offered for sale straight off the boat that's been used to catch it, you'll find plenty of tempting purchases at these markets.
Our agents suggest making a stop at the following open-air markets in Nassau.
- Straw Market - Bay Street, Nassau, The Bahamas
Set aside a few hours if you're visiting the famous Straw Market, which is located in the middle of high-end shops on Bay Street. You'll find many hand-woven straw items that The Bahamas are well known for, including hats, bags, and mats. Other wares, such as wood carvings and conch shell jewelry, are also sold at Straw Market, and everything is offered at reasonable prices.
- Doongalik Farmers' Market - Village Road, Nassau, The Bahamas
You'll find delicious food from local organic farms at Doongalik Farmers' Market, including eggs from one that's less than five miles away, cucumbers, bananas, herbs, and much more. While you're there, enjoy a native fruit sorbet and grab some take-home foods like baked crab. And make time to visit the on-site art gallery and Craft Cottage that sells locally-made arts, crafts, and other items.
- Montagu Beach Fish Market - Montagu Foreshore, east of the Paradise Island Bridge, Nassau, The Bahamas
Montagu Beach is known for its soft, snow-white sand, calm waves, and clear, emerald green water. It's definitely worth a visit on its own, but add in the nearby Montagu Foreshore Fish Market and you've got a must-see destination. Shop a huge selection of fresh seafood that's displayed on wooden tables or in large coolers of ice. Pay a little more to have your fish filleted, and if you'd like to shop for other foods, you'll also find fruits such as sour oranges, vegetables such as hot peppers, and spices at the market.
- Potter's Cay Fish Shacks - Beneath the Eastern Paradise Island Bridge, Nassau, The Bahamas
Potter's Cay Fish Shacks offer delicious seafood from fishing boats that arrive daily from the Out Islands. In addition to the abundant seafood selections, you'll find produce that's mostly sourced straight from local farms as well as other items, including herbs and pepper sauces.
Why Shop at Open-Air Markets?
Open-air markets are great shopping destinations for the following reasons:
- Accessing local foods and goods - From unique items handcrafted by local artists to fresh produce, seafood, and more, you'll be able to buy local items. In the case of food, this means you're getting the freshest, tastiest fare. And you're also supporting local artists, farmers, and fishermen in the process.
- Finding new items - You might find something you've never tasted before at an open-air market, such as a special type of hot pepper. This can expand your palate and give you the chance to discover some new favorite foods.
- Talking to the vendors - Are you wondering how to prepare snapper, or how to choose the best cucumbers? Talk to open-air market vendors to learn more about how to best choose, store, and prepare what you buy.
- Eating healthier - Instead of buying pre-packaged foods, shopping at an open-air market lets you eat a colorful, healthy diet of fresh produce, fish, and more.
Contact us if you'd like to see Nassau and Paradise Island homes for sale. We know the local market well and understand its nuances, making us uniquely qualified to help you find your home in the area.